Get Adobe Flash player

Info - Safety - MAP Reports

Are You Riding Legally? Are your Brothers and Sisters?

Arizona Department of Transportation (DOT) requires that you a Class M motorcycle license or endorsement to legally operate a motorcycle. Penalties for not having an M endorsement can range from fines to license suspension and even bike impoundment.

AMSAF has received grant funding for Motorcycle scholarships to obtain your M endorsement. Check out the article in this edition on the grant details that cover the bulk of the cost. A wise investment, especially if you have been riding illegally. Through the grant process, you pay $100 towards a riding school of your choice. The MSF course is 3 days. Arizona Motorcycle Riding Schools will issue students who successfully pass the written and riding evaluation, and meet all of the course completion requirements a “Motorcycle Safety Foundation Completion Card”. When you take the Completion Card into an AZMVD Driver’s License office they will typically issue you a new license with the “M” endorsement added. This Completion Card is issued only to riders who successfully complete either a Basic Riders Course or Confident Riders Course. (CRC Previously known as Intermediate). Not only do you get to receive your endorsement but you learn the essential skills on riding, breaking, maneuvering and preventing crashes. Surprisingly, some insurance companies will even issue a discount for taking an MSF course.

To me that is an easy process. …. Or you can choose to go to the MVD to apply and complete the written and riding course skills test the same day. The skill test is difficult on a full size bike.

If you are an applicant from out of state and you have a valid motorcycle license or endorsement, you may simply trade in your out-of-state license for an Arizona one. You will not need to take the driver education/driving practice, and you will not be required to follow the instruction permit requirements.

If the state that issued your license has a similar skills test to that of Arizona, you may also be exempt from the skills test, though you should be prepared to take it anyway.

If you are under age 18 years old, you are required to obtain an instruction permit before getting your Class M license. To apply:

  • You must be at least 15 years old and 6 months.
  • You will need to apply at your local Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office. Pass a vision screening.
  • Pass a written test consisting of questions from the Motorcycle Operator Manual (99-0129).
  • If you do not have a current Class D driver's license or instruction permit, you will also need to take a written driver licensing exam.
  • Pay the $7 permit fee.

The motorcycle permit is valid for 7 months, and can be renewed 1 time within a period of 24 months. During this time, you will need to complete either an MVD-approved motorcycle training course, or at least 30 hours of riding practice in order to receive your full Class M motorcycle license.

There are some important restrictions to a motorcycle permit:

  • You cannot carry passengers.
  • You cannot drive on freeways or interstate highways.
  • You cannot drive between sunset and sunrise, or at any time when there is not enough light to see other vehicles or persons from a distance of 500 ft.
  • You must be at least 16 years old to apply for a full Arizona motorcycle license.
  • If you are under 18 years old, you will need to:

    • Hold a valid AZ motorcycle instruction permit for at least 6 months.
    • Complete any MVD-approved motorcycle driver education program, or have your parent/guardian certify in writing that you have completed at least 30 hours of practice driving on your motorcycle.

    All applicants are required to: Pass a knowledge test.

    • Pass an on-cycle skills test. Pass a vision exam.
    • Pay your licensing fee (based on your age―see below).

    After you have passed both exams, you will be issued your Class M license, which is valid until you turn 65 years old. You will need to retake your vision exam every 12 years.

    For more information you can go to or

    Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Responsibly!

    Teresa “Trauma Mama” McClelland
    MSN RN
    A.B.A.T.E of Arizona State Safety Officer