Info - Safety - MAP Reports
May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month
And so you say to yourself, every month is motorcycle safety month. Well, yes, you’re right. But, I challenge you to make the most of motorcycle safety awareness during this month of May.
Here are the ways to do that:
- Count the number of motorcycle safety PSAs (public service announcements) you hear this month.
- Tally up how many billboards you see with safety messages on them.
- Add in the number of street signs you see that ask motorists to share the road.
- See if you can see at least one motorcycle advertisement on TV that even hints at safety.
- Go online and read a safety article on the AMA or MSF website.
- Take a course to enhance your riding skills.
- Check the air pressure in your tires.
- Contact your legislator to improve his or her awareness of motorcycles and our need for more safety oriented messages throughout the state.
Even though everyday is motorcycle safety day, there is much to be done to promote motorcycle safety. We have the best riding weather in the country right now. Make the most of it – get out and ride. Riding is fun, thrilling and a great way to just be doing something. It’s all about the journey, right? While you’re out there think about personal safety promotion, like wearing reflective clothing, keep hydrated, stay alert for road hazards, maintain safety margin between you and other vehicles, and know your machine.
Be Safe, have fun, see ya out there!
State Safety Officer